Ok, I have a tutorial for all of you! I have been making these crowns a long time and we just love them around here. I decided to take pictures for a tutorial, let me know if you have any questions or if anything is unclear! This tutorial is for PERSONAL USE ONLY . I don’t care if you make them for your friends or your friend’s friends, but please don’t sell them or sell the tutorial. Thanks! 🙂
6. Sew letter onto crown (top layer only). Lengthen your stitches a tad. I have a digital machine and I just go up one notch.
9. Using sharp scissors cut around the crown shape leaving approx 1/8″-1/4″ allowance. Make sure you don’t snip any stitches especially on the backside. Better to have more than to ruin it.
10. Insert 3/8″-1/2″ width elastic ( elastic length should be: measure the child’s head and subtract the length of the crown+2″ for where the elastic goes into the crown. Sweet Girl is 3 years old and her head measures 20″) about 1″ into one side and sew shut. I reverse and then go back over so 3 rows of stitches so it doesn’t pull out.
11. Take your fabric that you will use to cover elastic. Cut at 3.5″xdouble the length of your elastic (you want it to bunch up when the elastic is not being pulled). Iron short ends and sew down. Fold in half right sides together and sew using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Zig zag or serge edges.
Flip tube right side out. Iron flat.
12. Attach large safety pin onto end of elastic. Use this to guide the elastic through the fabric tube.
14. You are done!!